Return to CT.Gov Home
Department of Energy & Environmental Protection Department of Energy & Environmental Protection
About Us Programs & Services Publications Forms Contact Us DEP Home
 Connecticut Coastal Access GuideExplore the Connecticut Shore 
Coastal Access SiteStonington Commons
Stonington, Connecticut Describe Site  Map Site Printable Version Help
Path at Stonington Commons, Stonington
Path at Stonington Commons, Stonington
A creative re-use of a five-acre former industrial property adjacent to Stonington Harbor has transformed this once-blighted industrial site into a unique waterfront residential community offering coastal public access.  Visitors are welcome to stroll the site's 800-foot long waterfront  path, observe vessels plying this busy harbor from the shade of a waterfront gazebo, or fish from a nearby breakwater accessed from this site.  Although the pedestrian access path is open 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset, anglers may access the breakwater via the public walkway at the south end of the site at anytime. However, due to the  proximity of this walkway to residences, it is important that anglers accessing the breakwater after sunset do so in a manner that will not disturb the site's residents.  Transient vessels anchored in Stonington Harbor may use the site's dinghy dock to access Stonington Borough. The dinghy dock  is open to the general public who wish to access the Borough from the Harbor and is NOT restricted to members of the Stonington Yacht Club who manage this facility.  Situated between the Borough’s streetscape and the waterfront, Stonington Commons replicates historic mill buildings that were largely destroyed by a fire in 2003 (while the site was being redeveloped), and it is interesting to note that the site itself is also of historical significance.  It served as a military battery that successfully defended Stonington Borough from a British bombardment during the War of 1812.  The battery, known as "Grasshopper Fort", served as a gun emplacement from which a cannon defended Stonington during a three-day British bombardment in August 1814.  Visitors interested in Connecticut’s industrial past and historic architecture will enjoy viewing the granite foundry building located at the center of the site and the granite factory building located along the property’s south-side entrance, which leads to the breakwater.  The site’s oldest remaining original structures, the granite foundry and factory building, were completed in 1851.

More Photos More Photos...
View interactive map of Stonington Commons Water Street
Stonington (Borough), Connecticut
From the West: Take I-95 North to exit 91. Take a right onto Pequot Trail/Route 234. Turn left onto North Main Street and follow for 2.2 miles. Make a left onto Trumbull Avenue. Turn right onto Alpha Avenue. Turn left onto Water Street. Proceed through Stonington Borough village. Site (large brick complex) on right opposite Cannon Square. Access site by following brown and white shoreline public access signs. Please stay on designated public access footpath.
Parking Lot
Handicapped AccessHandicapped Access
Historic, Cultural InterestHistoric, Cultural Interest
Harbor SettingHarbor Setting

Select the Map Site tab above to view an interactive map of this site.
Web site hosted by the
Long Island Sound Resource Center
A Department of Energy & Environmental Protection and University of Connecticut Partnership
Copyright 1998-2013 Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection